History

A Historic Home: Parrington Hall

BW Parringtion Hall

In 1987, the University of Washington gifted Parrington Hall, the second oldest building on the main Seattle campus, to the Evans School. Parrington Hall was built in 1902 and renamed in 1929 for the University’s popular English Professor Vernon L. Parrington, best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Main Currents in American Thought.

The Evans School was established in 1962 as one of the nation’s first schools of public affairs at a public university.

Formerly known as the University of Washington (UW) Graduate School of Public Affairs, the Evans School was renamed in 2000 to honor Daniel J. Evans, who served as both a U.S. senator and three-term governor of the State of Washington.

The University first offered the Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree in 1947 through the Department of Political Science. In 1958, UW President Charles Odegaard appointed a committee to determine how the University could improve public policy and management education. Following the committee’s recommendations, Odegaard asked Brewster Denny to develop a model for an independent school of public affairs.

Denny, the great-grandson of one of Seattle’s founding families, a former staff member for U.S. Senator Henry M. "Scoop" Jackson, and a UW alumnus, designed a mission and curriculum, serving as the school’s first director and dean.

In 2003, the Evans School welcomed its sixth dean, Sandra O. Archibald, who is taking the school’s strong legacy of public service and academic achievement created by her predecessors—Brewster Denny, Jared Hazelton, Hubert G. Locke, Margaret T. Gordon, and Marc Lindenberg—into the next era.

Find out more about the history of the University of Washington.

Named for a Legendary Leader

In 2000, the University of Washington's Graduate School of Public Affairs became the Daniel J. Evans School of Public Affairs to honor one of Washington state's most revered politicians, who served as a U.S. senator and three-term governor.