This page contains links to research produced by the Benefit-Cost Analysis Center and by other unaffiliated organizations. It also contains links to selected relevant government documents regarding the practice of benefit-cost analysis.
- Transportation benefit-cost analysis website of the Transportation Economics Committee of the Transportation Research Board.
- Principles and Guidelines for Evaluating Federal Water Projects: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Planning and the Use of Benefit-Cost Analysis (878 KB PDF), a report for the Congressional Research Service that was prepared as a course capstone project by members of the PBAF 599D course at the Evans School of Public Affairs and was supervised by Richard O. Zerbe, Jr. and Joseph Cook.
- The Top Tier Evidence initiative, a validated resource used by federal officials to identify social programs meeting the Congressional Top Tier evidence standard, has identified the Transitional Care Model as one of the few program models currently meeting this standard.
- The Tufts Medical Center Cost-Effectiveness Analysis (CEA) Registry has more than 300 cost-effectiveness analyses and 900 cost-effectiveness ratios in an online, searchable database.
- A summary from the workshop Strengthening Benefit-Cost Methodology for the Evaluation of Early Childhood Interventions (128 KB PDF) is available. Benefit-Cost Analysis Center principal researcher Richard O. Zerbe, Jr. was invited to attend this workshop, which was organized by the Board on Children, Youth, and Families of the National Research Council and Institute of Medicine, and was funded by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
- Federal Agency Benefit-Cost Analysis Principles & Standards for Social Programs (143 KB PDF), compiled by Richard O. Zerbe, Jr., Masuda, Davis.
Office of Management & Budget, Federal Regulations, & Executive Orders
- "Truth in Regulating" Act of 1999
- Regulatory Flexibility Act of 1980
- Clinger-Cohen Act of 1996
- OMB Circular A-4 on regulatory analysis
- OMB Circular A-11 on budgets
- OMB Circular A-94 on guidelines and discount rates for BCA of federal programs
- White House Executive Order 12866
- Budget & Accounting Act of 1921 (see Section 1111.1.A)
Department of Justice
- NIJ Resource for Evaluating Child Advocacy Centers
- Uniform Appraisal Standards for Federal Land Acquisitions
Housing & Urban Development
- Housing & Innovation Appraisal Process
- HUD System of Development Methodology
- Housing Impact Analysis
- System Development Methodology templates, including for benefit-cost analysis
Department of Health & Human Services
- Outcomes Measurement Interpreting OMB Report of 2003 & A-94
- Regulatory Decisions: 2003 Report to Congress on the Costs & Benefits of Federal Regulations & Unfunded Mandates on State, Local, & Tribal Entities (see Appendix D)
- Evaluating Measures of Health Benefits for Environmental, Health, & Safety Regulation, Institute of Medicine
- Valuing Health Outcomes: Policy Choices & Technical Issues, Resources for the Future
Coalition for Evidence-Based Policy
- 2010 article from the Fiscal Times, How to Get Consumers to Spend Again
- 2010 article from the Fiscal Times, Long-Term Deficit Reduction: Less Pain, More Gain