Tailored for Public Sector Financial Leaders
The goal of the Public Financial Leadership Academy (Academy) is to develop the next generation of financial leaders for public organizations, who are equipped with the unique blend of technical financial skills, strategic thinking, and management. The Academy is designed for both emerging and established financial leaders in public organizations, who would like to strengthen their financial acumen. The curriculum will cover three main areas, with the following topics:
- Politics and the Policy Process: stakeholder mapping, public participation processes, effective communications, policy and agenda framing
- Financial Sustainability: the federal and state budgets, the macroeconomic outlook, demographic trends that will shape public finance, cutback management, aligning “mission with money”
- Financial Tactics and Strategy: budget implementation, financial policymaking, capital budgeting and finance strategies, risk management tools and tactics, counter-cyclical tools
Instructors will provide informative lectures and lead interactive discussions to help participants develop their knowledge and skills in financial leadership. In addition to the instructional team, participants will gain knowledge and insights shared by expert practitioners.
How to Apply
Selection for the Academy is based upon professional experience, commitment to the course goals, and leadership ability. The Academy has space available to admit 30–35 financial leaders from local and regional public sector agencies. Eligible applicants include:
- Financial staff—budget analysts, staff accountants, capital projects staff, others—who have shown the potential for a larger leadership role
- General managers—management analysts, assistants to the manager/administrator, program staff, compliance officers, and others—whose roles incorporate financial management
- City managers/administrators or other executives, who want to broaden their network, skills, and abilities in financial management
If you would like to apply for the August 2015 cohort, please complete the following steps:
- Fill out and submit the online application.
- Include a resume.
- Include a letter of recommendation (optional).
Applications are being considered on a rolling basis through July 1, 2015. After July 1, applications will be considered on a space-available basis.
For more information about the Academy, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.685.0523.