I’m writing to you today from the east coast, as I travel from Delaware to DC in time to see Professor Justin Marlowe inducted into the National Academy of Public Administration as its newest Academy Fellow

I spent the past few days at the University of Delaware’s School of Public Policy & Administration – home to the Biden Institute – giving a talk on “Innovation, programs, and initiatives of top ten schools,” as their annual Messick Lecture speaker.  This presentation gave me the opportunity to further reflect on what makes the Evans School such a special place, something I’ve been thinking a lot about since this past Saturday night when I co-hosted a potluck with Visiting Lecturer Akhtar Badshah.

I encourage all of you to read President Cauce’s email message on Monday to the UW community, with the subject: “In the face of tragedy, what can we do?”  In it she expresses so well our shared sadness, horror, and condolences specifically for those who have been affected by the shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, as well as for so many individuals and groups within the US who are experiencing increased acts of targeted violence.  

So what do we do?  One thing that President Cauce noted was the power of coming together for “actual conversations, countering the ‘othering’ that is increasingly used to delegitimize not just ideas but entire communities.”  For me, the annual Evans School potlucks do just that – providing us with an important platform to have open conversations that moves us all forward.

And of course, as she mentions, you can – and should - exercise your democratic right to vote.  I hope you will all take a moment between now and November 6th to fill out your ballot and make your vote count by mailing it in (no postage necessary) or using the nearest drop-box (there is one in front of Schmitz Hall on 41st between the Ave and 15th Ave NE). 

Thank you all for being part of this community,

Sandra O. Archibald
Dean and Professor