As faculty and staff are busy packing up their offices, and as students prepare to start winter quarter in our temporary home in Condon Hall, I wanted to remind everyone why we are going through this exciting disruption. Remember – it is a means to an end!
By summer 2020, Parrington Hall will be an asset – not an obstacle – in Evans School teaching and learning. While we continue to work with our design-build partners, as well as consult with our many stakeholders, to determine the details of exactly what our remodeled facility will entail, we do know the goals that are serving as our north star:
- Upgrade the mechanical, electrical, IT, and lighting systems to make the building a more healthy and comfortable place to work and study.
- Create learning environments that support collaboration, active learning, and flexibility.
- Facilitate student engagement with peers, faculty, and staff, and strengthen our sense of community
- Reflect the school’s commitment to sustainability and stewardship for this special historic building.
- Undergo a project that makes the building useful well into the future.
What else do we know about a remodeled Parrington Hall?
- With its historic designation by the City of Seattle, the iconic red-brick exterior will remain just as it is.
- All five floors, from the basement to the fourth floor, will see improvements and upgrades.
- The building-wide upgrades are likely to include improved ventilation systems, full ADA compliance, new classroom technology and accessibility tools, gender neutral and family friendly spaces, and a general aesthetic update that will maximize natural light.
As I mentioned, there is still much to be designed and determined. But what we do know is that this project represents a historic moment in time for our Evans School, and we wouldn’t be here without the generous support of the Washington State Legislature and more than 400 individual donors who have, together, contributed more than $18.9 million.
Thank you to our supporters, and stay tuned – this is going to be a transformation to watch!