Evans School Visiting Scholars
Visiting Scholars at the Evans School of Public Policy and Governance can pursue academic research and enjoy the benefits of the Evans School and University of Washington (UW) resources. The goals of this program are to:
- Support rigorous and innovative research in public policy, management, and leadership by leading and emerging scholars across the United States and around the world.
- Strengthen collaborative research between the globally renowned Evans School faculty and partners around the world.
- Contribute to the vibrancy and productivity of the research culture at the Evans School.
- Potentially fundraise for collaborative research projects between Evans School faculty and their partner scholars.
To be eligible to join the Evans School as a Visiting Scholar, you must:
- Hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and a professorial title at another institution.
- Have an existing connection with a faculty member who is willing to sponsor your time at the Evans School. If there is no pre-existing relationship with an Evans School faculty member, please include potential names in your application after reviewing the research interests of our faculty (see faculty areas of specialization).
Visiting Scholars may visit for up to one year, dependent upon individual visa restraints, with the possibility of renewal for an additional year. The Evans School hosts a select and limited set of Visiting Scholars at any one time.
Visiting Scholar Benefits
- Faculty: Discuss research and common interests with faculty who have agreed to work with the Visiting Scholar. Access to faculty members is at faculty discretion.
- University Library: Library privileges according to library regulations and eligibility requirements. A UW NetID will be provided to Visiting Scholars. Some fees for services will be the responsibility of the Scholar and will be invoiced by the Evans School.
- Research Space: Shared research space will be assigned as space permits.
- Computer Access: The Evans School is unable to provide computers for Visiting Scholars.
- Special Activities: Participate in special activities connected with Evans School programs.
- UW Facilities: Access to recreational and other facilities of the Associated Students of the University of Washington.
- Bus Pass: Eligibility for a special University bus pass (U-Pass) at a nominal cost (contact Parking Services).
- Parking: Eligibility for campus parking (contact Parking Services).
Apply to be a Visiting Scholar
Once you have submitted your application, email the below listed materials to email@example.com in order to be considered for our visiting scholar program:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV): CV should be current and include all training, publications, and experiences that might be relevant to a Visiting Scholar appointment at the UW.
- Statement of Purpose: A detailed description of your proposed research topic; this paper should be between three to five pages in length. In addition to describing the work you wish to undertake at the UW Evans School, please include an indication of how your research fits into your long-term professional plans and goals. Your research proposal should include a description of the methodologies and objectives of your project.
- Letter of Recommendation: A minimum of one letter of recommendation from someone familiar with your work and could discuss it with the Evans School.
- Proof of Highest Academic Degree: This is required to process visa requests for international Visiting Scholars. Documents should be in English or translated into English. (Photocopies accepted.)
- Letter of Financial Support from Sponsoring Institution: Proof of salary and other sources of funding should be sufficient to cover expenses. For current international Visiting Scholar requirements, please contact the International Scholars Office.
- Family: If the Visiting Scholar wants to be accompanied by family while at the UW, he/she is responsible for additional visa fees, demonstration of funds to support the family, and any travel, insurance, or other associated costs during their stay.
Please reach out to us with questions or inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org.