The following policies apply to all business travel by students, faculty, and staff. To ensure timely processing of your reimbursement, complete forms accurately and follow the Evans School guidelines.

Required Pre-Travel Approval

All overnight travel (in-state and out-of-state) requires advance approval using the Evans School Pre-Travel Approval Form prior to making travel arrangements. Please submit this form and wait for approval from Finance and Administration prior to making reservations to ensure proper payment or reimbursement of your trip. Approval typically takes 1-2 business days.

If you plan to host a meal for someone else to discuss University of Washington business, prior approval is required. Typically, hosted meals are not reimbursed unless:

  • Dean Archibald or Director of Finance and Administration Kelly Campbell asked you to host the meal.
  • Your budget, grant, or contact has a line item for hosting in these circumstances.

For more information about hosted meals, see food and catering or contact fiscal support at

Making Travel Arrangements

Maximum allowable per diem rates, or the amount you can be reimbursed for meals, incidentals, and lodging per day, will vary from city to city. Be sure to review the rates prior to travel. 

The standard practice is for the Evans School to reimburse meals & incidentals at the per diem rate; no receipts required. (Incidentals include fees and tips given to porters, baggage carriers, bellhops, hotel maids, stewards or stewardesses, foreign transaction fees, and other for personal services performed.)   If a lesser amount is desired, please indicate on the reimbursement form. When inquiring with a hotel about lodging rates, please make sure to ask whether government per diem rates are offered, and if so, to book your lodging under that rate.

In certain circumstances, meals can be limited to actual meal costs with receipts required. For example, sponsored research may not allow for per diem reimbursement; please check with your budget manager for guidance.  Also, meals paid on behalf of others will require receipts.

For more information, contact the Evans Fiscal Support Team at

International Travel

Special policies and procedures apply to international travelers.

  • Students traveling internationally are now required to register with the UW Office of Global Affairs, and to purchase comprehensive medical and evacuation insurance while abroad. Please visit the UW Office of Global Affairs for more information about the Student International Travel Policy.
  • For additional international travel information and resources, please visit these websites: UW Global Travel, Global Operations Support and UW Tips for Travelling
  • The Fly America Act dictates that when travel is federally funded, U.S. flag carriers  must be used where possible.
  • A living allowance can be given to foreign national(s) visiting Seattle who are in travel status. Be sure to check with Finance and Administration to determine if funds are available before making plans.
  • Borrowed UW equipment may or may not be currently insured. We may want to purchase insurance for UW equipment that will be taken abroad. If you plan to travel internationally with borrowed UW equipment, please notify Kole Kantner at or 206.616.6972.
  • The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency may charge a duty tax on equipment returning to the U.S. from a foreign country. This is a non-reimbursable expense. Be sure to take proof of purchase (such as a receipt for personal equipment) or a customs letter (if the equipment is borrowed from the UW) on your trip to avoid paying this fee. Contact your budget manager at least 5 business days before your departure date for assistance acquiring a customs letter.
  • Export control regulations (governing technology, equipment, and information-sharing) apply to all activities undertaken by University of Washington (UW) faculty, staff, students, and other persons at the UW acting on behalf of the UW. Contact Sarah Guthu at 206.543.3885 or for more information.

International Travel Tips

During Your Travel

Per UW policy, remember to keep your receipts related to:

  • airfare itinerary; change fee; bag fee
  • lodging (from a commercial lodging facility; hotel folio is required if hotel not prepaid)
  • car rental (final rental agreement)
  • train/rail itinerary
  • laundry
  • banquet dinners
  • meal reimbursement on behalf of others
  • immunizations (itemized with CDC recommendation)

For all other expenses, except if the meals & incidentals per diem is used, you must provide a receipt for any expense over $75. 

Please note in some exceptional circumstances, certain sponsors may require receipts for certain or all expenses; if you are unclear, please check with your budget manager.  

After Your Travel—Getting Reimbursed

We recommend that you submit reimbursement requests within two weeks upon your return from travel status. This ensures that the information we need is fresh in your mind, that receipts and other documentation are not misplaced, and that funding designated for this trip will not expire. After returning from your travel, submit the following for reimbursement of your expenses:

  • ​A completed Travel Reimbursement Request Form
  • Airfare: include complete itinerary with origin and destination, departure and arrival times, and flight numbers
  • Lodging: include detailed hotel receipt, bill, or folio
  • Meals: reimbursed at the per diem rate.  If a lesser amount is desired, please indicate on the reimbursement form.  In cases where meals must be reimbursed based on actual meal expense, please include receipts.  Prior approval is required for hosting meals; receipts are required for those meals.
  • Receipts including payment information for purchases over $75. Regardless of cost, receipts are required for:
    • Airfare/Itinerary/Change Fees/Baggage Fees
    • Lodging (from a commercial lodging facility); Hotel folio is required if you don't pre-pay
    • Car Rental (final rental agreement)
    • Train/Rail Itinerary
    • Laundry
    • Banquet Dinners
    • Meal reimbursement on behalf of others
    • Immunizations (itemized with CDC recommendation)
  • Program agenda, such as a conference program book, if applicable
  • ​Include a specific address or place name for all other origins and destinations
  • Google Maps or MapQuest results for mileage reimbursement requests, if applicable
  • On weekdays, use Parrington Hall as the point of origination and point of return
  • If applicable, include exact times personal time began and ended, and the location (e.g., 1/18 at 10 a.m. to 1/20 at 3 p.m. in Washington, D.C.).
  • International travel: attach currency conversions for all receipts using Oanda

In some circumstances, particular sponsors may require receipts for certain or all expenses. If you are not sure which expenses require receipts, contact your budget manager. 

Please note: Receipts for goods and services must be submitted for reimbursement within 90 days of purchase. Requests for reimbursements after 90 days of purchase will be granted on a case-by-case basis only, with prior approval from the Director, Finance and Administration. Reimbursement requests submitted one year or more after the purchase is made will not be approved.

Reimbursement forms, receipts, and other documentation can be brought to Parrington Hall, room 303, placed in the Finance and Administration mailbox in the Dean’s Office (Parrington Hall, Room 208), or sent via postal mail. Please be sure all mailed documents are addressed specifically to Finance and Administration. If there are no original (paper) receipts and documentation, you may email the reimbursement forms and all digital receipts and documentation to

Your request cannot be processed until all receipts and documentation have been received and the request is approved. Once your request has been processed, you will be contacted to sign documentation or approve your request online. If you are an active employee in payroll with direct deposit, your reimbursement will be deposited directly into your account upon approval of your request, typically within one week. Reimbursement checks for non-employees are mailed to the address indicated on the Travel Reimbursement Request form.

Travel Forms

All travel processes are managed by Finance and Administration. Contact the Evans Fiscal Support Team at for more information.

Return to Faculty & Staff Page