The Graduate School at the University of Washington normally allows six years to complete a master's degree and ten years for a doctoral degree – including on-leave and un-enrolled periods. A matriculated student previously registered in the Graduate School who has failed to maintain graduate student status (on-leave status or registration) but who wishes to resume studies in their previous graduate program must submit a reinstatement request to the Graduate School. Students approved to reinstatement must pay a $250 Reinstatement Fee to process their reinstatement and return to active student status

For detailed information regarding the reinstatement process, visit the Graduate School website.

You can also contact the Evans School Student Services office at or 206.543.4900.