Special note to UW and State of Washington employees pursuing graduate coursework
For many years, the UW has had a Tuition Exemption Program, which enables UW and State of Washington employees to waive tuition for up to six credit hours when enrollment is on a space-available basis.
Effective Autumn Quarter 2014, the Tuition Exemption Program is available only to non-matriculated (NM) and graduate non-matriculated (GNM) students in the Evans School of Public Policy and Governance. Matriculated students—including matriculated students enrolled in other schools/colleges—will not be permitted to use tuition exemption. However, to minimize the impact on current matriculated students, a grace period will be provided to matriculated Evans School students.
For complete information, please review this Evans School Tuition Exempt Program - Policy Statement, Autumn 2014.
For students eligible for the grace period: Important Notes about Course Registration Using the Tuition Exemption Program
- After the UW Registration Office has received your tuition exemption request, you can register using the Registration option on MyUW on or after the appropriate registration eligibility dates.
- Please see the Academic Calendar for specific registration dates.
- Course registration is not permitted prior to the appropriate space-available eligibility date for all courses when using a tuition exemption. However, you may attend classes with instructor permission prior to their registering during the first week of the quarter.
- If you are using your Washington state tuition exemption to register, you may join a waitlist for Evans School courses. Placing your name put on the waiting list may help, but it does not guarantee you will get into the class. The only way to guarantee getting into a course is to register and pay. To join a waitlist, please see our course waitlist policy. When the quarter begins, attend the first day of class to find out if space may be available in the course.
- Note: Tuition exempt students will not be able to receive priority in registration. All tuition paying students will be admitted to the class prior to tuition exempt students being admitted.
**Please note: Students registering before the designated tuition exemption registration date will not be permitted to convert to the tuition exemption program and will be required to pay regular tuition for all registered credits.