Types of Research
- (-) Remove Monitoring & Evaluation filter Monitoring & Evaluation
- (-) Remove 2015 filter 2015
- (-) Remove Aid & Other Development Finance filter Aid & Other Development Finance
- (-) Remove Technology filter Technology
- (-) Remove Sub-Saharan Africa filter Sub-Saharan Africa
- (-) Remove Technology Adoption filter Technology Adoption
This brief reviews the evidence of realized yield gains by smallholder farmers attributable to the use of high-quality seed and/or improved seed varieties. Our analysis suggests that in most cases, use of improved varieties and/or quality seed is associated with modest yield increases. In the sample of 395 trials reviewed, positive yield changes accompanied the use of improved variety or quality seed, on average, in 10 out of 12 crops, with rice and cassava as the two exceptions.