Types of Research
- (-) Remove Sub-Saharan Africa filter Sub-Saharan Africa
- (-) Remove Market & Value Chain Analysis filter Market & Value Chain Analysis
- (-) Remove Southern Africa Region and Selected Countries filter Southern Africa Region and Selected Countries
- (-) Remove Labor & Time Use filter Labor & Time Use
- (-) Remove 2018 filter 2018
- (-) Remove 2015 filter 2015
This report reviews the literature on textural attributes of Root, Tuber, and Banana (RTB) crops with a focus on studies relevant for crop research and development in Sub-Saharan Africa. The texture of cooked root and tuber crops is often cited as a primary determinant of consumer acceptability of new varieties, including those produced through traditional breeding and through genetic engineering. Evidence from texture-related consumer preferences studies for the RTB crops tropical yam, sweetpotato, banana/plantain, cassava, and potato, as well as the results of physicochemical and genetic studies detailing the current scientific understanding of drivers of textural traits, is reviewed and synthesized.