Types of Research
- (-) Remove Women filter Women
- (-) Remove Smallholder Farmers filter Smallholder Farmers
- (-) Remove Monitoring & Evaluation filter Monitoring & Evaluation
- (-) Remove South Asia Region and Selected Countries filter South Asia Region and Selected Countries
- (-) Remove Literature Review filter Literature Review
- (-) Remove Global filter Global
This brief reviews the evidence of realized yield gains by smallholder farmers attributable to the use of high-quality seed and/or improved seed varieties. Our analysis suggests that in most cases, use of improved varieties and/or quality seed is associated with modest yield increases. In the sample of 395 trials reviewed, positive yield changes accompanied the use of improved variety or quality seed, on average, in 10 out of 12 crops, with rice and cassava as the two exceptions.