Types of Research
- (-) Remove Development Finance & Policy filter Development Finance & Policy
- (-) Remove Countries/Governments filter Countries/Governments
- (-) Remove Food Security & Nutrition filter Food Security & Nutrition
- (-) Remove Gender filter Gender
- (-) Remove Literature Review filter Literature Review
- (-) Remove Rural Populations filter Rural Populations
- (-) Remove 2017 filter 2017
- (-) Remove Health filter Health
- (-) Remove Portfolio Review filter Portfolio Review
Donor countries and multilateral organizations may pursue multiple goals with foreign aid, including supporting low-income country development for strategic/security purposes (national security, regional political stability) and for short-and long-term economic interests (market development and access, local and regional market stability). While the literature on the effectiveness of aid in supporting progress on different indicators of country development is inconclusive, donors are interested in evidence that aid funding is not permanent but rather contributes to a process by which recipient countries develop to a point that they are economically self-sufficient. In this report, we review the literature on measures of country self-sufficiency and descriptive evidence from illustrative case studies to explore conditions associated with transitions toward self-sufficiency in certain contexts.
Land tenure refers to a set of land rights and land governance institutions which can be informal (customary, traditional) or formal (legally recognized), that define relationships between people and land and natural resources (FAO, 2002). These land relationships may include, but are not limited to, rights to use land for cultivation and production, rights to control how land should be used including for cultivation, resource extraction, conservation, or construction, and rights to transfer – through sale, gift, or inheritance – those land use and control rights (FAO, 2002). In this project, we review 38 land tenure technologies currently being applied to support land tenure security across the globe, and calculate summary statistics for indicators of land tenure in Tanzania and Ethiopia.