Yuta Masuda started the Evans School Ph.D. in Public Policy and Management program in 2008. He is also concurrently pursuing a M.Sc. in Statistics at the Department of Statistics. His research interests include environmental policy, health policy, international development, and quantitative methods.
Prior to starting his doctoral studies at the Evans School, Masuda served as a health economics research associate at RTI International from 2006–08, and an NGO development volunteer with the U.S. Peace Corps in the Republic of Georgia in 2005.
Masuda decided to pursue a Ph.D. to develop his quantitative skills and gain an interdisciplinary perspective for conducting analyses on real world policy issues. He hopes to apply his studies toward a career in academia at a research institution or an international organization.
On why Masuda chose the Evans School, he said, "The Evans School's curriculum provides a strong and solid foundation while allowing room for flexibility to pursue my interests and develop key analytic tools. I was also drawn to the University of Washington in general because it is a renowned research university that provides a lot of opportunities to have exposure to experts in my fields of interest."
Masuda was the recipient of a four-year HOPE Academic Scholarship to attend the University of Georgia and a University of Washington Graduate Fellowship.
- "Psychiatric Disorders and the Labor Market: An Analysis by Psychiatric Profiles" with A.J. Cowell and Lou Zhehui for the Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics; Volume 12, Issue 1, 2008
- Transitions in Depression Status and Labor Market Outcomes with Z. Lou and Alexander J. Cowell; under review, November 2008
- The Costs of Using Motivational Interviewing to Address Problem Drinking in the United States Air Force with A.J. Cowell and Brendan Wedehase; under review, July 2009
- "Psychiatric Disorders and the Labor Market: An Analysis by Psychiatric Profiles" with Alexander Cowell and Zhehui Luo for the Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics; revise and resubmit - July 2008
- Transitions in Depression Status and Labor Market Outcomes with Zhehui Luo and Alexander Cowell (in progress)
- "The Cost Analysis of the Serious and Violent Reentry Initiative" with Aaron Chalfin and John Roman and presented by Alexander Cowell at the American Society of Criminology Annual Meeting, St. Louis, November 2008
- Psychiatric Disorders and the Labor Market: An Analysis by Psychiatric Profiles with Zhehui Luo and presented by Alexander Cowell for the American Society of Health Economists, Durham, June 2008